THE MODERN GROOM’S CHECKLIST IN THE LEAD-UP TO THE BIG DAY
November 07, 2018
So, you popped the question and your bride-to-be is hard at work getting everything in order for your dream wedding, but what are you to do? Here’s a handy list of things you need to get down before you watch your gorgeous bride make her way down the aisle:
12 MONTHS TO GO
- Decide on a ceremony and reception venue alongside with your bride. Book ahead of time to avoid disappointment.
- Choose and secure the services of your groomsmen.
- Take care of the gift registry - choose a few stores across the affordability spectrum.
9 MONTHS TO GO
- Book and secure the officiant, band, DJ - anyone who's getting paid to play a role in the wedding. TOP TIP: When it comes to DJs and live acts, get references and listen to their music beforehand, live if at all possible. And consult with your bride!
- Finalise the guest list with your bride, her parents and yours.
6 MONTHS TO GO
- Get on top of the honeymoon planning. Decide where you're going, make the reservations and get your passports and visas in order if necessary.
- Arrange and book any transportation you may need to the ceremony and reception (fancy vintage car, horse & buggy, etc.).
3 MONTHS TO GO
- Send out the invitations and be ready to recommend accommodation venues for out-of-town guests.
- Get your gear in order. Top and tails, Scottish kilt, sleek suit - what will it be?
- Order the wedding bands.
6 WEEKS TO GO
- Get grooming. Whiten your teeth, go for a facial, get a manicure and then remember to schedule follow-up sessions to keep everything in shiny, working order for the big day.
- Choose and purchase wedding gifts for your bride and groomsmen.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Take your bride-to-be away for a romantic weekend. Believe us, the lady is stressed and she needs a little downtime.
- Enjoy your bachelors and don’t do anything stupid! Make sure your best man knows not to schedule the shenanigans for any later than this.
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Check your honeymoon reservations and visit FOREX if necessary.
- Check in with your officiant, photographer, florist, wedding planner and musicians to ensure that everything is all set.
- Sort out your speech. We know it’s a headache, but just get it done.
THE DAY BEFORE
- Remind your partner why they love you. Write a sweet little note, make breakfast, give them a backrub – make them feel special.
These guidelines should give you a good idea of your role in the lead-up to the wedding. Keep your eye on the Date Night Ideas website and blog for more helpful advice and all sorts of awesome date night ideas to fan the romantic flame once you’ve gotten hitched.
ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WAS A UNIQUE BRIDAL COUPLE WHO DIDN'T WANT A TYPICAL WEDDING CEREMONY
They wanted their wedding celebration to be like them – unique, personal and fun; an experience they and their friends and family would delight in and treasure for always. Tata to traditional stiff and frou-frou I do's and hello to tailor-made personal packages, with meaningful details. A wedding celebration guests talk about for years to come.
Whether your dream wedding day is a picnic in Mount Amanzi's
beautiful natural surrounds, the River, the Magnificent Magaliesberg Mountain in the distance, and your guests sipping on bubbly and craft beer on picnic blankets in the sun or under the stars; or a tailor-made indoor wedding – where the Venue is your canvas – your happily ever after starts with a wedding at Mount Amanzi.
The Mount Amanzi wedding team is as hands-on, or hands-off, as you prefer and is committed to making your big day memorable, special, fun and unique. Download a Free Brochure Here.
VAN LOVEREN FARM - SPECIAL OFFER
As a Date Night SA fan you qualify for a 15-20%* discount on all wine bought for your wedding directly from the Van Loveren farm (15% if they need to courier the wine, 20% if you collect). Simply show them this post, as well as your wedding invitation and their friendly team will assist. To find out more please email Reino at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Thank you for choosing Van Loveren Family Vineyards to celebrate your special day!
FREE WEDDING GUIDE
At Date Night Ideas, our crew of hopeless romantics get collectively weak at the knees when you mention the word ‘wedding’. After all, is there anything more gloriously romantic than a special occasion where two people vow to have each other’s backs for the rest of their lives? From rustic barn weddings and swanky shindigs in top-dollar hotels, to beachside bashes and destination occasions, weddings come in many shapes and sizes. In this year’s DNI Wedding Edition
, we share some of our favourite venues, service providers and offer a bit of helpful advice in the lead-up to the big day.
“No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you.
I swear it.”
––Defiance by C.J. Redwine
“I wanted to tell you that wherever I am, whatever happens, I’ll always think of you, and the time we spent
together, as my happiest time. I’d do it all over again, if I had the choice. No regrets.”
––Boundless by Cynthia Hand
“And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.”
––Across the Universe by Beth Revis
“It’s one thing to fall in love. It’s another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a
responsibility toward that love.”
––Every Day by David Levithan
“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.”
––The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.
I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable,
and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and
I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
––The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I’ll never love you any less than I do,
right this second.”
––Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
“Sometimes I can’t see myself when I’m with you. I can only just see you.”
––Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
“I am catastrophically in love with you.”
––Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t
something about you at all. It was just you.”
––Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire