WHY DO CATS WANDER?
November 21, 2018
Purry has been missing for a few hours. You begin to panic. You find her next door, happily lying on the neighbour’s patio in the sun. Is this normal?
Although domesticated, a cat’s instinct is to roam; be it to search for a mate, an adventure or place of safety and comfort. They often don’t see your home as their home but simply a place that has food and somewhere to sleep. Having said that, cats are territorial so if they do wander off, it’s unlikely that they would have gone very far.
HOW TO PREVENT CATS FROM WANDERING
First things first, get them neutered. This will quell the desire to go on the hunt for a mate. Secondly, make your home as comfortable as possible for them, so they wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Food and shelter are a priority, as well as providing a place of safety.
CATS ENJOY ROUTINE AND DON'T LIKE CHANGE SO CONSIDER THESE POINTS WHEN YOUR CAT'S GONE ROGUE
- Have you recently moved house
- Has a new baby or family member moved in
- Have you got another pet
- Has your routine changed in any way
- Could anything be causing your cat stress
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR CAT DOES WANDER OFF
- Generally, cats don’t wander very far, so start by looking close-by, in any favourite hiding spots, before widening the search to neighbouring houses.
- Check in warm spots (particularly if it’s cold) as well as high hiding places (open cupboards, trees etc).
- If he’s been chased, chances are he’ll climb to get out of harms way.
- Think of places he might be trapped; inside the garage, a car etc.
- Rope in any family and friends to join in the search and post on community social network pages to get the word out quickly. There’s a big possibility someone would have spotted him and he’ll be home in no time.
- Consider getting your cat microchipped, so if he does wander off, he can be immediately traced back to you if found.
WHY DO CATS WANDER OFF TO DIE?
Contrary to popular belief, cats don’t know they are going to die and disappear to spare you the pain and suffering. For the most part, if a cat is feeling unwell, they will go to one of their favourite hiding spots for some peace and quiet, and will then unfortunately succumb to their illness. So if your feline friend has been missing for some time, check your garden or yard first, before sending out the search party.
So remember; a safe, loving and comfortable home with access to plenty of of food and water will go a long way to preventing your cat from wandering off. And giving them all the attention they desire will not go amiss either!
“No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you.
I swear it.”
––Defiance by C.J. Redwine
“I wanted to tell you that wherever I am, whatever happens, I’ll always think of you, and the time we spent
together, as my happiest time. I’d do it all over again, if I had the choice. No regrets.”
––Boundless by Cynthia Hand
“And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.”
––Across the Universe by Beth Revis
“It’s one thing to fall in love. It’s another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a
responsibility toward that love.”
––Every Day by David Levithan
“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.”
––The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.
I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable,
and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and
I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
––The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I’ll never love you any less than I do,
right this second.”
––Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
“Sometimes I can’t see myself when I’m with you. I can only just see you.”
––Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
“I am catastrophically in love with you.”
––Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t
something about you at all. It was just you.”
––Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire