A WARM CAT IS A HAPPY CAT
January 09, 2019
Wondering why you've been noticing pet-related posts and info on Date Night Ideas? Simple - we have found that a large portion of our readership are passionate pet guardians (just as we are!). As the proud owner of We Love Pets SA
, we also have first-hand experience of sharing our lives with our partners as well as a troupe of fury friends.
We bring them along on outings and holidays, and there are many of our readers who like to do the same with their pets. As such, the Date Night Ideas team likes to share insider knowledge on pet-friendly accommodation venues, holiday destinations and more.
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR FELINE FRIEND WHEN THE MERCURY DIPS
While South African winters are not as extreme as in other parts of the world, even with their furry exterior, our feline friends do feel the cold, and as such, it is important to ensure they are warm and comfortable during the colder months.
Fortunately hypothermia and frostbite (two conditions fairly common in the colder climates of Europe), are unlikely in South Africa, but cats can succumb to a host of illnesses and diseases that the colder months might bring. Not to mention, a cold cat is a miserable cat. So here are a few guidelines to take note of when caring for your cat as we begin to gear up for winter:
- Cats do sport a “winter coat” to keep out the winter chill but it is important to supplement their diet with essential fatty acids which help this coat to grow.
- Cats need more food in winter – particularly protein – as the effort of keeping warm uses energy. But keep an eye on too much weight gain. A fat cat can suffer from joint and other health issues.
- Talk to your vet or pet shop owner for advice on a tonic or supplement to help with general health and vitality.
- Take particular care of elderly and arthritic cats, as well as kittens. They are more susceptible to feeling the cold.
- Ensure they have a warm place to sleep, away from drafts and preferably off the floor.
- If you have an outside cat, it might be advisable to try and keep them inside during winter, but if they still prefer to stay outside, despite the cold, make sure there is decent shelter, providing warmth and protection from the elements. Straw is a nice option to lay down as it retains warmth.
- Be careful of fires and fireplaces. Although cats enjoy the warmth of lying next to a fire, be wary of glowing embers and flying sparks. You want a warm cat, not one that’s on fire!
- Groom him or her regularly. Matted fur provides less insulation from the cold.
- If your cat gets caught in the rain, dry him/her with a towel as soon as possible.
- Be careful of cats sleeping under cars, or on the car wheel where it’s warm. Hoot as a precaution or double check your vehicle before you start the engine.
So just as we gear up for winter, ensuring we’re ready for the colder months that lie ahead, some planning and thought needs to go to our feline family as well. And before we know it, the long, warm days will be upon us once more.
“No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you.
I swear it.”
––Defiance by C.J. Redwine
“I wanted to tell you that wherever I am, whatever happens, I’ll always think of you, and the time we spent
together, as my happiest time. I’d do it all over again, if I had the choice. No regrets.”
––Boundless by Cynthia Hand
“And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.”
––Across the Universe by Beth Revis
“It’s one thing to fall in love. It’s another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a
responsibility toward that love.”
––Every Day by David Levithan
“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.”
––The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.
I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable,
and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and
I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
––The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I’ll never love you any less than I do,
right this second.”
––Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
“Sometimes I can’t see myself when I’m with you. I can only just see you.”
––Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
“I am catastrophically in love with you.”
––Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t
something about you at all. It was just you.”
––Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire