HOW TO CALM A STRESSED DOG
November 21, 2018
As a dog owner, you have probably come to dread Guy Fawkes or New Year’s Eve, or any event that involves fireworks. And thunderstorms are reminiscent of the scene in The Sound of Music when all the children run into Maria’s room, terrified of the loud bangs, except you have a fur-family-member crawling under your bed covers. Sound familiar?
Not all dogs suffer from what is known as “noise aversion”, but research tells us that approximately 40% of dogs experience it. And they will do anything to try and get away from the noise (what they perceive as a threat), often resulting in injury, or even death.
It’s never nice to see your pet go through such an acute fear, but there are ways to soothe and calm them. If there is an occasion coming up where you know there will be loud noises, be as prepared as possible:
- Plan to stay with your pet if you can. A familiar face and voice will go a long way in bringing comfort.
- Keep him inside and close the curtains. Not only are the loud sounds diminished, but there are less chances of him injuring himself or running away.
- Don’t overly coddle him. As humans, we might like a hug to calm us down, but for most dogs, this will just make them even more anxious. Depending on your dog, some like to be petted (use a firm sweeping motion down their back), and some find their ears being fondled soothing. It’s entirely up to your dog though, so test out what works for him beforehand.
- Play soothing music or turn the TV up to minimise the sound.
- Distract him. Play his favourite game and reward him with treats. He’ll start to associate the loud noises with positive experiences, rather than scary ones.
- Give him a herbal supplement. Regal Stress & Anxiety Remedy has been specifically formulated with three effective herbs known for calming stressed and anxious dogs.
- Put him in a ThunderVest. A ThunderVest works in a similar way to swaddling a baby to soothe them. It is a unique dog anxiety wrap, designed to provide gentle, constant pressure to your dog’s torso, resulting in a calming effect.
- Make sure he has identification. In the event that your dog does escape during a time of trauma, make sure he is either chipped or wearing identification, so he can be reunited with you as soon as possible.
Stress and Anxiety Remedy:
Regal Stress and Anxiety Remedy
, with a delicious artificial beef flavour, has been specifically formulated with three effective herbs known for calming stressed, anxious and problem dogs. This herbal nerve tonic is beneficial for dogs prone to separation anxiety and problem behaviours (including barking, biting, aggression and hyperactivity). It can also be given to soothe nerves during stressful situations such as thunderstorms, fireworks or a car trip. A happy dog makes for a happy home.
The Thunder Vest is a unique dog anxiety wrap, designed to provide gentle, constant pressure to your dog’s body, resulting in a calming effect. The Thunder Vest is a wearable solution that can be used to help your pet with dog separation anxiety, travel stress, thunder, fireworks and other canine anxieties.
Wondering why you've been noticing pet-related posts and info on Date Night Ideas? Simple - we have found that a large portion of our readership are passionate pet guardians (just as we are!). As the proud owner of We Love Pets SA
, we also have first-hand experience of sharing our lives with our partners as well as a troupe of fury friends.
We bring them along on outings and holidays, and there are many of our readers who like to do the same with their pets. As such, the Date Night Ideas team likes to share insider knowledge on pet-friendly accommodation venues, holiday destinations and more.
“No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you.
I swear it.”
––Defiance by C.J. Redwine
“I wanted to tell you that wherever I am, whatever happens, I’ll always think of you, and the time we spent
together, as my happiest time. I’d do it all over again, if I had the choice. No regrets.”
––Boundless by Cynthia Hand
“And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.”
––Across the Universe by Beth Revis
“It’s one thing to fall in love. It’s another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a
responsibility toward that love.”
––Every Day by David Levithan
“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.”
––The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.
I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable,
and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and
I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
––The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I’ll never love you any less than I do,
right this second.”
––Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
“Sometimes I can’t see myself when I’m with you. I can only just see you.”
––Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
“I am catastrophically in love with you.”
––Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t
something about you at all. It was just you.”
––Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire