5 IMPORTANT REASONS TO MAKE A DATE NIGHT PART OF YOUR COUPLES’ REPERTOIRE
January 10, 2019
Far from being merely an interesting novelty, date nights have now been proven to be an important part of the way in which healthy couples interact and schedule opportunities for unimpeded communication.
A recent report
by W. Bradford Wilcox and Jeffrey Dew from the National Marriage Project
in the USA focussed on the value of date nights and how it can impact on the longevity of a marriage or relationship.
According to the report, the value of date nights (which is defined as any opportunity where a couple takes time out from their normal routine to engage in a shared activity), was five-fold:
1. It creates an opportunity for communication. Human beings are continually developing and changing and, as such, it is important that couples take the time to truly communicate beyond the scope of the everyday, so they can keep up with the inner workings of their partner's mind. A date night creates this opportunity.
2. It shows your partner in a new light. When you choose a brand new activity (e.g. an extreme outdoor pursuit
) to share on your date night, it gives you the opportunity to see your partner in a new way; this kind of re-connection strengthens your bond.
3. It improves commitment levels. Just the notion of blocking out time to spend with one another displays your commitment to your partner, and can inspire them to do the same.
4. It relieves stress. Date nights are supposed to be fun! Sharing a fun activity with your loved one is a great way to blow off some steam and relieve the stress associated with your everyday schedule.
5. It provides a platform to reconnect with the community. We live in a time where we are less connected to our community by means of religious and civic organisations. Date nights that take you out into your community, whether it’s for a stroll in the park or to partake in a game of put-put down the road, provides a wonderful opportunity to engage with other members of your community and thereby strengthen your connection to the people around you.
So there you have it, five scientifically proven reasons why a date night should form part of your couples’ repertoire. Take a look at our great selection of picnic-related date night ideas
and get ready to make the most of the balmy springtime weather.
6 REASONS WHY COUPLES SHOULD TAKE TIME OUT FOR ROMANTIC GETAWAYS
• Anticipation and excitement
• Reduce stress and improve mental health
• Strengthens the structure of a relationship
• Better relationships with spouse and children
• Increased work performance
• Renews intimacy
“No matter what has happened. No matter what you’ve done. No matter what you will do. I will always love you.
I swear it.”
––Defiance by C.J. Redwine
“I wanted to tell you that wherever I am, whatever happens, I’ll always think of you, and the time we spent
together, as my happiest time. I’d do it all over again, if I had the choice. No regrets.”
––Boundless by Cynthia Hand
“And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars.”
––Across the Universe by Beth Revis
“It’s one thing to fall in love. It’s another to feel someone else fall in love with you, and to feel a
responsibility toward that love.”
––Every Day by David Levithan
“I love you the way a drowning man loves air. And it would destroy me to have you just a little.”
––The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.
I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable,
and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and
I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
––The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
“I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I’ll never love you any less than I do,
right this second.”
––Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl
“Sometimes I can’t see myself when I’m with you. I can only just see you.”
––Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
“I am catastrophically in love with you.”
––Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t
something about you at all. It was just you.”
––Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire