THE MODERN GROOM’S CHECKLIST IN THE LEAD-UP TO THE BIG DAY
June 25, 2017
So, you popped the question and your bride-to-be is hard at work getting everything in order for your dream wedding, but what are you to do? Here’s a handy list of things you need to get down before you watch your gorgeous bride make her way down the aisle:
12 MONTHS TO GO
- Decide on a ceremony and reception venue alongside with your bride. Book ahead of time to avoid disappointment.
- Choose and secure the services of your groomsmen.
- Take care of the gift registry - choose a few stores across the affordability spectrum.
9 MONTHS TO GO
- Book and secure the officiant, band, DJ - anyone who's getting paid to play a role in the wedding. TOP TIP: When it comes to DJs and live acts, get references and listen to their music beforehand, live if at all possible. And consult with your bride!
- Finalise the guest list with your bride, her parents and yours.
6 MONTHS TO GO
- Get on top of the honeymoon planning. Decide where you're going, make the reservations and get your passports and visas in order if necessary.
- Arrange and book any transportation you may need to the ceremony and reception (fancy vintage car, horse & buggy, etc.).
3 MONTHS TO GO
- Send out the invitations and be ready to recommend accommodation venues for out-of-town guests.
- Get your gear in order. Top and tails, Scottish kilt, sleek suit - what will it be?
- Order the wedding bands.
6 WEEKS TO GO
- Get grooming. Whiten your teeth, go for a facial, get a manicure and then remember to schedule follow-up sessions to keep everything in shiny, working order for the big day.
- Choose and purchase wedding gifts for your bride and groomsmen.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Take your bride-to-be away for a romantic weekend. Believe us, the lady is stressed and she needs a little downtime.
- Enjoy your bachelors and don’t do anything stupid! Make sure your best man knows not to schedule the shenanigans for any later than this.
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Check your honeymoon reservations and visit FOREX if necessary.
- Check in with your officiant, photographer, florist, wedding planner and musicians to ensure that everything is all set.
- Sort out your speech. We know it’s a headache, but just get it done.
THE DAY BEFORE
- Remind your partner why they love you. Write a sweet little note, make breakfast, give them a backrub – make them feel special.
These guidelines should give you a good idea of your role in the lead-up to the wedding. Keep your eye on the Date Night Ideas website and blog for more helpful advice and all sorts of awesome date night ideas to fan the romantic flame once you’ve gotten hitched.
VAN LOVEREN FARM - SPECIAL OFFER
As a Date Night SA fan you qualify for a 15-20%* discount on all wine bought for your wedding directly from the Van Loveren farm (15% if they need to courier the wine, 20% if you collect). Simply show them this post, as well as your wedding invitation and their friendly team will assist. To find out more please email Reino at email@example.com
or phone 023 615 1505. Thank you for choosing Van Loveren Family Vineyards to celebrate your special day!
FREE WEDDING GUIDE
At Date Night Ideas, our crew of hopeless romantics get collectively weak at the knees when you mention the word ‘wedding’. After all, is there anything more gloriously romantic than a special occasion where two people vow to have each other’s backs for the rest of their lives? From rustic barn weddings and swanky shindigs in top-dollar hotels, to beachside bashes and destination occasions, weddings come in many shapes and sizes. In this year’s DNI Wedding Edition
, we share some of our favourite venues, service providers and offer a bit of helpful advice in the lead-up to the big day.