PLAY BARTENDER OR MAID
August 25, 2017
Skip the bars one evening and play cocktail master at home. Whip up seasonal beverages like apple cider margaritas or old favorites like mojitos and battle it out to see who makes the best drink. Mojito is a traditional Cuban highball. Traditionally, a mojito is a cocktail that consists of five ingredients: white rum, sugar, lime juice, sparkling water, and mint.
HOW TO MAKE A CLASSIC MOJITO
There are many theories as to how the mojito, a traditional Cuban highball cocktail, got its name. Whether from the Spanish mojadito, meaning ‘a little wet’, or from the Cuban spice mojo, made from lime, it can’t be denied that this one’s a refreshing crowd-pleaser. Here’s how to make it.wet’, or from the Cuban spice mojo, made from lime, it can’t be denied that this one’s a refreshing crowd-pleaser. Here’s how to make it.
INGREDIENTS (FOR 1 DRINK):
8-10 leaves mint
1 tsp castor sugar
50ml light rum
Soda water – we used the Sodastream
1. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into your glass.
2. To this, add the fresh mint. Clap it with cupped hands to release the minty flavour. Add a heaped teaspoon of castor sugar.
3. Fill the glass with crushed ice and pour in 50ml of light rum.
4. Gently mix the ingredients with a spoon or muddler to release the flavour of the mint.
5. Get your soda water ready with your Sodastream. Insert a Sodastream bottle, filled with cold water, into your Sodastream. Pump the Sodastream until the desired carbonation is reached and release.
6. Top up your glass with soda water and garnish with a slice of lime.