Situated in Muldersdrift, Lethabo Estate (meaning Joy) offers a ‘romantic picnic’ beneath umbrellas on the banks of the Crocodile River in an enclosed thatch gazebo with a double-bed flop spot, and a ‘boudoir picnic’ in a private lovers’ retreat tucked into the river bank, where a petal strewn carpet leads to a bed and a table set with crystal, antique silver and Spode.
Situated just 20 minutes from Fourways in Gauteng on the banks of the Crocodile River (crocodiles excluded), Toadbury Hall offers al fresco picnics on the riverbank under lush extensive indigenous trees. Take a walk through the rose and lavender gardens or simply enjoy the cooling atmosphere. Picnic blankets, cushions and tables can be set up and baskets include a selection of cold meats, cheeses, chicken liver pâté with Melba toast and fig compote, fusilli pasta salad, honey and sesame chicken drumsticks, sausage rolls, lamb cofta with tzatziki, gorgonzola and leek quiche, lemon shortbread, chocolate brownies and fruit kebab. A children’s menu and a vegetarian option per person are also available.
Take your pets for a drive to one of the most pet friendly picnic sites in Gauteng. Accommodating large functions or small parties, there are onsite kennels for your pets and a huge expanse of land for them to play. Picnic baskets are made to order to the customer’s specifications, so just give them a call. You’re also welcome to bring your own.
SPICED COFFEE RESTAURANT AT LUDWIG'S ROSES
On Ludwig’s Roses farm there are a variety of activities to will away a summer’s day. Take a walk down to the butterfly garden or get involved with the tractor rides around the farm (booking essential). The Spiced Coffee Restaurant makes up picnics and will even set it up for you to enjoy amongst the roses.
ORDER FROM ONE OF THESE THREE OPTIONS:
1. Asparagus, ham & bacon quiche, chicken mayonnaise roll, a cucumber, cheese, basil and pepper skewer, a chocolate brownie, rose fudge and rose Turkish Delight, seasonal fruit and a bottle of mineral water or;
2. Farm baked bread, camembert, cherry tomatoes, rocket, cream cheese, German salami, thyme quiche, chocolate brownie, a rose scone, rose fudge, rose Turkish Delight, seasonal fruit and a bottle of mineral water or;
3. Thyme & Again quiche with sundried tomatoes & feta, freshly baked bread sandwich with lettuce, cheddar & tomato or egg mayonnaise, a cucumber, cheese, basil & pepper skewer, chocolate brownie, rose fudge & rose Turkish Delight, seasonal fruit and a bottle of mineral water. You can also order a special kiddies picnic basket.
VAN GAALEN KAASMAKERIJ
On the banks of the Skeerspoort River, at the foot of the Magaliesberg Mountains, lies the more-than-two-decade-old cheese farm, Van Gaalen Kaasmakerij. Guided tours of the cheese making process can be had every Wednesday and Saturday morning and includes a cheese tasting, coffee and a slice of Dutch Apple cake. Mature and semi-mature cheeses are available. Picnic hampers are packed for up to two persons and contain cheeses, cold meats, green salad, pickles and olives, bread, biscuits and fruit, and you get to keep the basket. Kiddies knapsacks are also available.
GAUTENG PICNIC SPOTS - BRING YOUR OWN PICNIC
2. Rietvlei Nature Reserve, tel 012 358 1810
3. Fountains Valley Nature Reserve, tel 083 409 7503
4. Walter Sisulu (Witwatersrand) National Botanical Garden, tel 011 958 1750
5. Johannesburg Botanical Gardens, tel 011 712 6600 (City Parks switchboard)
6. Emmarentia Dam, tel 083 446 7282
7. Delta Park and Environmental centre, tel 011 888 4831