HOW TO HAVE A WINTER PICNIC (WITHOUT HYPOTHERMIA)
July 10, 2017
Temperatures are falling and baby, it’s cold outside … but WINTER definitely has its own unique charm. ‘This the season for snuggly comfort infused by the homely scents of cinnamon, nutmeg, warm bread and sweet hot chocolate! Winter also means being able to binge watch all of your favourite series or movies with zero guilt.
Although it can be tempting to hibernate, the cold months can actually inspire a new sense of adventure, one which doesn’t confine us indoors (especially in South Africa where even in the winter season the weather is quite temperate.) Why not refresh your spirit and step outside for a winter picnic – you may need a bit more planning than your standard summer outing, but here are a few simple tips to motivate you:
1. Dress in layers! It’s FUN dressing up in woolly socks, knitted scarves, beanies and gloves and maybe some thermal undies if you’re prone to getting cold.
2. Wear red! Red is bright, bold, and unapologetic & can give you a sense of warmth on a drab, grey day.
3. Grab a blanket … or simply snuggle up to someone special! Nothing is going to get you warmer than some body heat from your sweetheart – after all, winter is nature’s way of telling us to get closer to the ones we love.
4. Make sure you have the right accessories such as a quality, waterproof picnic blanket to keep the cold out of your bones. Have a browse at our online picnic shop!
5. The most important thing besides the company is of course the Picnic Food! How about some Cream of mushroom Soup with crispy bread and flavoured butter, Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate, Chicken, Cranberry and brie grilled cheese sandwiches … sounds yummy doesn’t it! Maybe you prefer something with a bit of chilies and spice to give you a heated kick!
6. Nothing can top of a romantic winter picnic quite like the perfect drink. Mulled wine is an absolute classic for a winter-warmer and can be easily made ahead of time and stored in your thermos for the perfect picnic top off. Loaded with cinnamon and spices, red wine and all things delicious, hot mulled wine goes well with any picnic treat. You can also fill your thermos with cocoa, a hot toddy or you favourite sherry or brandy to keep warm from the inside out.
7. If it’s too rainy outside … how about an indoor picnic by the fireplace to rev up the romance! Dial-a-Picnic will arrange everything and provide delicious foods to warm the bellies of you and your significant other.
8. Do some activities to keep the blood pumping. We will leave these up to your imagination …